Thursday, May 10, 2007

Khantoke Cultural Dinner

Tonight's program - Khantoke Cultural Dinner.

Muni & I posing at the hotel lobby while waiting for Tee's pick up.

Tee came to pick us up and in a few minutes we reached the restaurant of our destination. When we got there, guests were slowly arriving. In no time the restaurant was packed with people.

Dinner was ok. We didn't take the meat because we were not sure if it was halal or not. So we had the vege and some sticky rice with sweet sambal. It was not too bad.
Some people sat on the floor. For us...nahh...we chosed to pass....
Cultural show

Jupe trying to adjust for night shots to capture pictures of the cultural show.

The dinner lasted for about 1 1/2 hours. Tee then sent us back to the hotel. It was only 9.00pm and surely it was not bedtime for us yet. So...where else would we rather be?? Of course...none other than the night market. And we heard on Saturday nights other than the usual night market, there is also a Saturday market!!! And we also heard that at the Saturday market we would be able to find the tribal handicrafts. Both Muni and I had our hopes high in finding the tribal bag which we did not manage to get at the tribal village this morning.

Muni trying her bargaining skills. Finally we had to settle for a fair price the seller was willing to give. But we got our tribal bags!!!! Mission accomplised!!
Handicrafts at the market

More handicraft


After the Saturday market, we hit the streets lined with local sellers of the night market. More things to see and of course more damage made. I finally got the another tribal bag which I didn't succeed in bargaining at the Saturday market. The poor seller was just about to have his dinner and I literally called for him to show me this bag he had on display. I guess since I was his first customer he just gave in to the price I was asking for.

We walked for about 2 blocks until we reached the night market complex. I took the girls to the cotton shirt shop which I went to earlier. The girls got shirts and also raw silks at a very good price.

I then lingered at a silverware shop opposite the cotton shirt shop. Earlier at the silver factory, I saw a silver & onyx bracelet. However, I felt that the price was a bit too much to pay for.

I then saw another silver & onyx bracelet at this siver shop. Not exactly the design I saw earlier..but it was attractive enough. After putting by bargaining skills to practise...I got the bracelet for almost half the price of the one at the factory. I was very delighted with my purchase.

We lost Raha & Jupe while Muni & I were looking at the bracelet. We went back to the night market complex and did one round of search. But there was no sign of them. I sms Raha and told her that we were heading back to hotel.

When we arrived at the hotel, we called their room and there was no answer. So we waited for them at the lobby. They came back a few minutes later carrying more bags.

That night we were so tired and our bodies were sore from the two rides. We decided to call up for the massage service. A few minutes later two ladies came to our room and did a Thai massage on us. They practically folded our aching bodies with their massage maneuvers.

But it felt so good after that...and we slept the moment our heads were on the pillow.

The next thing we heard was my alarm sounding off the next morning. That night...we slept like babies.

No comments: