Friday, February 27, 2009

Mom of the Year Award

February must be a good month for me. Birthdays, Valentine's and now an award has come my way. TM, my sister has so very kindly nominated me this award. As I reflect my days in days out, at assuming this position MOM, I wonder if I really, really qualify as a recipient. But TM, I appreciate the award loads, thank you..thank you!!

I’m kinda blur off late. As always many things are cooking, be it at work or at home. So let me digest what exactly I need to do in order to achieve the award. Ohh got rules one kah?? Okay, kita copy paste je lah kan.

The rules are:

1. Admit one thing you feel awful about (involving being a mom). Once you have written it down, you are no longer allowed to feel bad. Remember you are a good mom!

2. List 7 things you love about your kids, you love doing with your kids, or that your kids love about you.

3. Send this to 5 other moms of the year that deserve a reminder that they too are the best moms that they can be. Remember to send them a note letting them know you have selected them, and also add a link to your post that directs people back to the person who nominated you.

Alamak…ni pasti banyak part yang not meeting KPI yet (but still Q1 mah..can still catch up).

First on the list.

1. One Thing I Feel Awful About

Not being able to breast feed any one of them. The longest one that latched onto me was Faris – only 3 days. Both Farah and Nissa hung on for 2 days. Reason for such short stint, nipple malfunction, err got such thing ah? They became sore, cracked and then bleed. Painful nyer Tuhan saja yang tau.


Second thing on the list.

7 Things I Love About My Kids

a. Seeing them all grown up now, pretty independent and able to manage and organize things on their own.

b. Seeing them develop intense liking on varied skills. Faris - DIY and technical skills (so like father like son). Farah – arts and craft, cooking and baking and sports too. Nissa – also into arts, literature and IT.

c. Listening to Faris talk to the two sisters about life in college. I could see that the young ones are inspired by his pep talk.

d. Watching them sleep when they camp in the living room. Positions of all sorts; a young man, a teenage girl and the over grown baby sister.

e. Having Nissa remind me that I don’t need any more shoes or handbags or new clothes when ever I have that sudden itch to go do my impulse retail therapy.

f. Going on vacation together. Perth was the best and so was the trip to Hong Kong in 2007 (more stories here) when they all (Faris, Farah, Nissa and TM’s Aliah and Ayna) doted on their Grandmother. Sorang angkat bag, sorang picit kaki Uwan and I could see how happy my Mom was during that vacation.

g. Push comes to shove, all three of them are good and responsible kids. Only when we are around they do the darnest things which I believe is their way of telling us to pay attention to them.

5 others who deserve this award.

1. Ummi
2. Laracroft74
3. myheartbleeds
4. Kak Ezza
5. Mamasita Mamamia

Incidentally, I Googled the Job Scope of Mom and this is what I got.

POSITION: Mother, Mom, Mama

JOB DESCRIPTION: Long term, team players needed, for challenging permanent work in an often chaotic environment.

Candidates must possess excellent communication and organizational skills and be willing to work variable hours, which will include evenings and weekends and frequent 24 hour shifts on call.

Some overnight travel required, including trips to primitive camping sites on rainy weekends and endless sports tournaments in far away cities. Travel expenses not reimbursed. Extensive courier duties also required.

RESPONSIBILITIES:

The rest of your life. Must be willing to be hated, hopefully just temporarily.

Must be willing to bite tongue repeatedly. Also, must possess the physical stamina of a pack mule and be able to go from zero to 60 mph in three seconds flat in case, this time, the screams from the backyard are not someone just crying wolf.

Must be willing to face stimulating technical challenges, such as small gadget repair, mysteriously sluggish toilets and stuck zippers.

Must screen phone calls, maintain calendars and coordinate production of multiple homework projects.

Must have ability to plan and organize social gatherings for clients of all ages and mental outlooks.

Must be willing to be indispensable one minute, an embarrassment the next.

Must handle assembly and product safety testing of a half million cheap, plastic toys, and battery operated devices.

Must always hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.
Must assume final, complete accountability for the quality of the end product.

Responsibilities also include floor maintenance and janitorial work throughout the facility.

POSSIBILITY FOR ADVANCEMENT & PROMOTION:

Virtually none. Your job is to remain in the same position for years, without complaining, constantly retraining and updating your skills, so that those in your charge can ultimately surpass you.

Now, doesn’t it feel GREAT to be a MOM??

12 comments:

Ummi365 said...

ehem ehem pssst psst.. i dah tau what will happen in the next few weeks. I had lunch with orang yang keje kat pj tu hehehe.

zaitgha said...

Kay,

Yang no 1. macam i jugak...my prob was in spite of my size, i didnt have much susu in me....i tried and tried to breast fed me until my back ached so much the hubby told me to give up....

sedeh jugak rasanyer

zaitgha said...

ha ha ha sorry...should be breast fed them....

kay_leeda said...

Ummi,

Weh...orang suro pi collect award lah. Pssssttt...jangan kasi pecah rahsia deh :)

kay_leeda said...

Zai,

I had milk but no outlet. Sad..actually very sad. But tak pe lah, I'm sure the kids know of our sacrifice.

Laracroft74 said...

okay...i'm here to collect award..ambik dulu ye...after my vacation baru tunjuk...:-))

anyway..i just have one thing to say...YOU'RE SUCH A FANTASTIC MOM!!!tabik spring....

Kak Ezza@makcik Blogger said...

wei,,hari2 dah chatting kat YM pun nak bagi jugak mende ni..tak pa tak pa akak sambut cabaran ni tapi dalam bahasa melayu...sapa nak lunch kat PJ ni...ermm nak ikut leh!!!!

kay_leeda said...

Lara,

Yezzaa..collect dulu, nanti buat assignment deh :)

Woo...tabik spring kat kita?? Heh..heh..tengkiu..tengkiu...

You have a good hols (btw, buku mana bwk gi Ba*i? Buku panduan U*r*h ker?? heh..heh)

kay_leeda said...

Kak Ezza,

Kan kita satu keluarga di BlogLand ni. Usik mengusik and element of surprise bawa bahaaaaagiiiaaaaa (cheh dah jadi lagu Saloma & P.Ramlee lak ni)

Lunch kat PJ? Tak sompek lah Kak, hari ni kena main bowling ngan anak-anak buah office.

tireless mom said...

Dear Kay

Tambah responsibility bukan primitive camp trips je but the most basic one, at least for me lah. Must be willing to keluar masuk rumah like 10 times a day (especially weekends)ferrying them to School Kokurikulum, tuition, music class, self defence class, book shop, kumon, kedai mamak, bithday party, friends' meet, tengok wayang and list goes on and on.

You deserve it sis.

Kak Teh said...

kay, i was blessed with so much susu that i felt like a cow!
Had engorged breats etc- and penat!

yes, it is nice to see them all grown up and developing their own characters. I love it when i hear giggling and laughter coming from their room - sharing a joke, stories, whatever, that makes me happy to know that they are also friend.

MHB said...

kay -- thank you!! not trying to be humble, but many others deserve it more than I do!! and you sudah semestinya!!

p/s: sorry lambat collect award.. ada prob sikit w/ internet connection kat rumah niii