Sometime last January, I wrote about my role in the wedding preparations (here for story..) Remember, I’m one of those who just couldn’t say NO and that landed me with the task of handling the flower girls and everything that came with that. No problem, easy peasy as how Kak Teh put it, nothing that I couldn’t handle.
I had all planned properly, the tailoring of the flower girls’ dresses and the beading of the dresses. Anticipating that I was going to be stormed with work in the office, I had sent the girls’ dresses much earlier. It was before CNY that I took the materials to the tailor. She promised me that she would have them ready in three weeks. Fine with me, I thought coz I’d still have ample time to do bead work on the dresses.
At work, I was pretty occupied with my deliverables, and I somehow forgot to call the tailor to check on the dresses. In fact, I went to the tailor’s shop two weeks after the earlier date given to me. My mental calculations had it that I’d have enough time to get the dresses beaded.
It’s Murphy’s law I guess, for if anything can go wrong, it will. When I went to the tailor’s place to collect the dresses, I almost had a heart attack when the tailor said that she had completely forgotten about the flower girls’ dresses!!! Huh…say what??? I saw in her cupboard where she stacked the tempahan materials, the materials were still untouched. Oh my God….I was already panicking.
My tailor apologized for the slip up, and promised to get started immediately. She said she’ll have them ready in a week. I was pretty upset about the delay, and so much wanted to scream at her. But what’s the point??? And having an out burst was not going to solve the problem.
Three days later I received a call from the tailor. She said that the dresses were ready for collection. Fuhh…what a relief, but there was still a long way to go to get the dresses beaded, and the wedding will be in three weeks.
Late nights, busy weekends held me back from doing beading work on the three dresses. I remember one night I stayed up till almost 1 in the morning to finish as much bead work as I could. The next day, I woke up with a terrible headache – all caused by the strain on the eyes and not to mention the late night.
Half way through by beading, I ran out of beads and when I went to the shop, they told me that they too have run out of the beads that I wanted!!! I could have kicked myself for not buying enough beads earlier. In the end, I had to make do with beads of a different colour. Nasib baik still okay, and still matches the dresses of the flower girls.
It was a mother – daughter partnership. Farah helped me a lot with the bead work. In fact she did most of the work and I worked on putting the finishing touches on the dresses. The last dress was finally ready like 3 hours before the wedding, with me sewing the last line of beads on it.
What a relief that was!!!
To be continued