Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Gone Outstation

I have been extremely busy lately. Work has me traveling to various locations in the country. Just before the Merdeka weekend, I was in Kuala Terengganu for two days on a training assignment.

Kuala Terengganu is the state capital of Terengganu. Terengganu is one of the three east coast states in the Peninsular Malaysia. The state is bordered by Kelantan and Pahang on the north west and south west, and by the South China Sea on the east.

Kuala Terengganu is a modest town, laid back and friendly. It doesn't have the busy pace nor excitement that can be found in other state capitals in Malaysia.

The boat which we boarded from Seberang Takir

The locals told me and my colleagues that if I wanted some adventure I should try going to town by boat. So on the last day, we decided to try just that. We got onto the boat from Seberang Takir. It was a small passenger boat which could sit about 15 people. The fare was only 80 cents. The ride to town took us only 15 minutes compared to by car where it would have been 30 minutes.

We got down at a small jetty near Pasar Payang or the Central Market of Kuala Terengganu. Pasar Payang serves as both a wet market as well as trade centre for the local community.


Nap time for Pak Cik Beca

On the ground floor, trading stalls selling all sorts of traditional cookies & food stuffs.

The songket samping...check it out ...this particular piece is RM5,000!!! Huyoo...can make as a down payment for a new car.




The boat ride was some adventure for me. But I guess to the local folks..they wonder what on earth were we doing coz we were busy snapping pictures of everything...ahkksss...these tourist from KL they must be saying to themselves.

No comments: