Friday, September 7, 2012

Incredible K-Drama!!

Many of my colleagues are fans of Korean dramas. They are very abreast of latest K-dramas and would always be the first ones to buy latest CD release from video outlets at the next door mall. Then they will do their marathon watching followed by their next day live review at breakfast. It simply amazes me that they knew the casts' names by hard and match these names to other dramas these casts have acted in.


 Jewel in the Palace - my first K-drama

At times their discussion sounded like a competition of who-could-throw-the-most-K-drama-cast-names. It was facinating watching them at discussion actually. At times, the discussions sounded so silly and I told myself that this will never be my favourite pass time.


Changdeokgung Palace - filming location for Jewel of The Palace drama. It is now designated as UNESCO's World Cultural Heritage.



Main entrance to the Palace

It was merely curiosity actually when I stumbled upon a site which aired Korean Dramas online. And I saja gatal-gatal clicked on the “watch” button.

Didn't they say curiosity could kill the cat? Yes, that was how it all started.



My first K-drama was Jewel in the Palace  (Dae Jang Geum) - a historical fiction drama that centers on the unusual life of Jang Geum, the first and only female Royal Physician in Korean history during the reign of King Jungjong during 16th century Korea.

Intricate designs on the roof of the palace main gate

My verdict after the laborious effort of watching all that 54 episodes – it was simply an awesome drama!! I thought it might go stale halfway through, but the conflicts and turmoil kept it interesting. The plot was EXTREMELY intricate, people kept appearing in different places, people were connected to people you didn't think they were, things kept changing, lots of plots to frame, kill and destroy - some were thwarted and others were not. The stakes got higher and higher, and when there's trouble and there's a way out and something else would terribly go wrong. The drama moves with such fluid motion, all pieces being revealed in time with a good balance of love and sorrow.



 I became “addicted” in no time; sacrificed my sleep watching episode after episode online, and it was worth it!


One of the buildings found in the palace complex

I must say this was one of the best dramas I have ever watched (and the other was that Japanese series Oshin). It has managed to draw out many emotions and kept me on the edge of my seat with what was going to happen next. Every character's pain, sorrow or anger even of the bad guys was so intriguing.


Beauty blended in perfect harmony


Palace history started back in 1405


Unique architecture attracts visitors from all over




In one of the pavilions where the King received his visitors

My verdict - witty, clever, amusing, brilliant and always surprising; Jewel in the Palace was simply amazing!!

No comments: