Friday, September 28, 2012

Gajah d'Nami

I thought I was seeing things when I spotted a row Jalur Gemilang swinging proudly in Namisum. Someone's doing our country proud, that's for sure. And I was even more proud to be there to witness it.





Namisum or Nami Island (Winter Sonata...that epic Korean love soap, ring a bell? Yup the drama was filmed in Namisum) is a tiny half-moon shaped island located in Chuncheon, Gangwon Province - about 60 km east of Seoul. It was formed in 1944 with the flooding of the land cause by the construction of the Cheongpyeong Dam. The island was named after General Nami, who died at an early age the age after being falsely accused of treason during the reign of King Sejo, the seventh king of the Joseon Dynasty.



In conjunction with our Merdeka Celebration, works of a Malaysian artist Yusof Gajah was proudly displayed on the island. I googled Yusof Gajah and this was my findings.





“ I have this fantasy and imagination where I can see a lot of things. So when I get bored , I can come up with varieties. The elephant I paint is not the real elephant but is done in relation to humans. “  ~ Yusof Gajah



Yusof Gajah is know in the art circle and to friends as “Yusof Gajah” and for a good reason, too. The elephant is a constant inspiration in his artistic career. Yusof is also Malaysian’s foremost naïve artist . He was born in 1954 in Negeri Sembilan as Mohd Yusof Bin Ismail. He was educated in Singapore, and received his art training at the Sekolah Seni Rupa Indonesia and the Akademi Seni Rupa Indonesia in Yogjakarta.

Ohhhh....orang se negeri rupanya.......


Nissa's jump@Gajah d'Nami

No comments: