Sunday, October 14, 2007

Let's Balik Kampung!!

It's Hari Raya!!! And let's balik kampung!!!

What would Raya be if it's not going back to one's hometown to celebrate with family and friends. Eidul Fitri this year falls on Saturday 13th October 2007. For folks who are in the city, many had headed for their hometowns even as early as Wednesday.

Festive decorations on the road to Mom's place.

So...where is the "Kampung"?? Hehe..hehe...it's Seremban, a small town about 1 hour drive to the south of KL. Yup...I am a Negri girl and proud of it. When I tell friends that I am from Negri Sembilan, some of them go "Aaaa....orang negeri....adat pepatih...where girls get to keep ALL the harta." Alah...whatever lah...one thing for sure, I don't have to spend many, many hours for my journey back.

My kids were excited to go back to meet up with their cousins. And for me, I was excited to be home at Mom's place. There would be plenty of yummy food and I could take some time out to rest as well. I don't know what's with our family home....but I sure am able to get a good rest here. I sleep better here all the time. Maybe it's because I am more relaxed...the mind is more at peace, hence the sleep is more peaceful.

We left Shah Alam that Friday afternoon. Traffic was good. It took us only 1 hour to get to my Mom's place. On the way, we stopped to get some lemang, a must have delicacy for Raya.

Mom had made chicken & beef rendang. With the help of Bibik, I had prepared serunding and kuah kacang at home. We had a good buka puasa that evening. The dinner table was full with stuffs to eat. The kids had a real good time enjoying the good food....after all Eidul Fitri only comes once a year.

Later that night, the folks from the nearby surau came and did takbir at our house. There were more children than adults. Mom had a surprise for the children. She served them ice-cream. Ha..hah...that was quite some treat for them. Something different from the usual lemang, ketupat & kuah kacang.

Folks who came takbir at the house.

Kengkawan...got ice-cream in this house lah...

We slept late that night. Have to conserve some energy for the next day coz we'd be visiting more relatives at the Kampung.

No comments: