Friday, December 28, 2007

A Life Cut Short

I had gone for a swim this evening and I picked up a local daily to later read in the sauna. As I turned to the pages, I saw the bold headlines "Bhutto Assassinated". Huh???? Did I miss something? I have been following the news and didn't catch anything earlier this morning.

As I read the news, I felt this sudden pull in my stomach. What is happening to the world around us?? Just a while ago, I watched some news clippings on CNN and the word "terrorism" surfaced many times. Was Bhutto's assassination a work of terrorist? Well, at least that's what some quarters believe. And to make matters worst, you just don't know if you can gobble down what's reported in the electronic media.

I am not much of a follower of the Pakistani politics. But I do like Benazir Bhutto. She had those deep caring eyes which displayed her love and concerns of her country and people. She had fought so much to bring modernity and education to the people in her country. It was a difficult struggle and yet she never failed to get it done with so much gracefulness.

Early this year, in the preface of her autobiography 'Daughter of the East', she wrote this, "I didn't choose this life, it chose me. Born in Pakistan, my life mirrors its turbulence, its tragedies and its triumphs. Pakistan is no ordinary country. And mine has been no ordinary life.'

Benazir Bhutto to me, is one truly great lady. One with courage and determination and this is just how I'd like to remember her.

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji `oon.

No comments: