Monday, July 23, 2007

Beach Bumming in Phuket - Part III

Second day in Phuket. We were up early for the island hopping & snorkeling trip. The pick up came at about 7.30am. It was quite a long journey to the pier.

In our group there were other tourist as well. Aussies made up the most of them. There was a couple from Canada, two Arab couples and a few Chinese tourist as well. Mat Salleh being Mat Sallehs they came in their bikinis and trunks. Me being me...haa..I was in my full length ARENA swimware. Reason being...well one was the tutup aurat thingy and no way I'd be in a bikini. If I was 20 years old...maybe la I'd give it a thought. But now...after 3 kids..no need for unnecessary expose la ;-)

Plus I know the sun will burn me...so covering up would be the best thing to do.

Our boat was a big one and it had 3 powerful engines. Our 1st stop was Khao Nok Island. The journey took us almost 40 minutes.
Upon arriving at the small island, I looked for a shaded area for us to lepak. Both ABE & I took turns snorkeling.
Though I am a swimmer, swimming in the sea has not been much of my favourite. I guess it was the sun & the sticky feeling after you get out of the water sort of turns me off from going into the sea. And this snorkeling trip was very much my first time at it.


Anyway..it wasn't too bad lah...not rocket science lah...if only you remember to breathe using your mouth via the tube on the snorkel gear. I did swallow the sea water many times in my first few attempts. After a while I was ok and was snorkeling away ;-)

We were taken to a few islands near by. Lunch was at Khai Nak Island. According to our guide, this island was badly hit during the tsunami. They said the big wave was about 10 meters high and 600 people were presumed dead. But life goes on and the locals have rebuilt the place since then.
Boats at Khai Nak Island
People strolling on Khai Nak Island

After lunch we did more snorkeling. Then there was the quick photo stop at the Monkey Beach. While the Mat Sallehs were busy feeding the animal, I was busy taking their pictures.

Heh..heh...check out the gals...bodylicious aren't they??

Our boat then made a quick stop at the beautiful Pileh Lagoon. The water was so calm and inviting for us to just dive in.
Calm waters at Pileh Lagoon

After the boat anchored in the deep waters and some of the passengers went to the front of the boat and just jumped into the sea. I didn't jump la...the Mat Salleh kids did. The swim was really, really good. I couldn't remember when was the last time I did this. Perhaps it was many, many years ago when I was in secondary school and my father took the family island hopping in Langkawi. Boy...it sure has been a while!!!

Our boat then headed towards Maya Beach. This was where the movie "The Beach" was filmed. Like the other islands we saw, this island too was a natural beauty.
Maya Beach
Both ABE & I at Maya beach.

Some Mat Salleh girls were busy sunbathing on the beach....

And compare my dress code to theirs ;-)

Maya Beach was our last stop. After spending about 45 minutes there our boat headed back to Phuket Island. It was another 1 hour boat ride. The sea was rather choppy and some of our Mat Salleh friends couldn't take it. They threw up la ....apa lagi. We were ok. But by the time we got back on land, I could still feel my body swaying...as if I was still in the boat.