Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Life is a succession of moments



Last weekend both my husband and I attended a wedding reception of an old friend’s son. We were college mates at the University of Wisconsin, Madison way back in the mid 80s. The father of the groom, Syed and my husband did engineering together. The groom’s mother, Kak Aiza was my senior. In fact when I first arrived in Madison, she had helped my friends and I who had just gotten over our jet lag to deposit our scholarship money and open our bank accounts.

The reception which was attended by many relatives and friends was held at Seri Melayu Restaurant. It was a very nice and simple reception. The food was delicious and it was definitely a very pleasant way to spend one’s Sunday afternoon.

What was even more interesting about the reception was the fact that we met up with friends whom we have not met for ages. I have not met some of them since the time I graduated in 1986. Some of us looked the same and some may have added a few extra pounds here and there. It took me a while to recall their names but as we talked memories of the good old college days came back to mind.

Time has moved on so fast since those days we were in college. Our worries of sitting and passing for exams have long gone. Instead we worry about the children now. We start drawing up plans of providing them with the best education. We start looking for good universities to send them to and source for sponsors or loans for their college education.

But most of all…I was very happy to see that most of us are blessed with wonderful families, good careers and we are enjoying every moment of it.

After all…as an American artist Corita Kent puts it… “Life is a succession of moments. To live each one is to succeed.”

I guess that’s how it goes.

No comments: