Saturday, November 6, 2010

Head Banging Away

With my home Internet speed getting slower and slower by the day, this blog is embarrassingly neglected. Plus, I have been like always - busy. Plus, I somehow am not able to put my thoughts together and write...sigh. I hate to think that it's got to do with the number (read : age) adding up. But perhaps it's true.....

Yesterday was Deepavali. The holiday break was something I had looked forward to. Had planned to do stuffs with the family. However, this over worked mind and body had planned a different agenda for its master.

That morning when I woke up, my head felt like there was a flock of unskilled musicians banging and knocking on my skull auditioning for some heavy metal rock reality show. Duhh....it was one of the worst bout of headache I've ever experienced.

So what do you do to yourself when the head throbbed like hell?? Drink loads of water?? Err yes...but headache still there. Sleep?? Err did that but the horrible pain didn't barge.

How else if not with the help of pain killers (errr...not exactly for long term though) . The normal asprin doesn't work for me anymore now. Neither does its stronger mate Mr Ponstan. I tried hanging on half of the day without any medication but the pain was too strong. At last I gave in to Cafergot - an abortive headache treatment, one that I've been carrying with me in my cosmetic pouch but never got the guts to consume. It was prescribed by my doctor during one of my head ting tong visits.

Washed down two of those yellow coloured pills and went to sleep again. It was around noon that I took them and was knocked out almost instantly. Next thing I knew, Nissa woke me up for my afternoon solat and when I woke up, it was like magic the nasty rock people had vanished!!

I am not at all proud with what I have done, but the pain was so unbearable that it gave me no choice. When I researched Cafegot in medical websites, this is what I found out about the drug; main contents are ergotamine tartrate and caffeine. Ergotamine belongs to a group of medicines known as ergot alkaloids (must make a mental note to do more research on this). But this miracle drug (for me now, at least) comes with a long list of side effects.....duhhh must they??

I've put away the remaining Cafegots. Hoping not to have the need to use it again. In the mean time, I must find out better ways of reducing the my headache attacks.

Help....does anyone know what could be the magic potion???

Anyway, I'm glad my headache cleared coz I got to deliver this beautiful creation by Yani the Kitchen Guardian (err more like Diva..I must say) to Kak Ezza's house for her daughter's wedding today.

4 comments:

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Aunty Kay,
Take a piece of paper, write BANG HEAD HERE, hang it on a wall, use when necessary. hahaha...seriously, enough sleep and rest are the cure. Unless you have a serious ailment that you don't know of, perhaps CT scan or MRI is in order. purrr....meow!

kay_leeda said...

Dear CatIS,

No...I have a better way of clearing the ting tong head and its a signage called SYDNEY. Ha ha...

Sleep deprivation tu yes yes yes - both hands and kucing's feet up. Have gone for MRI before. So far the inside looks okay. No rocks hidden in the thick skull. Kot-kot ada 'demen' ka...okay gak noo...leh korek kluaq buat cincin...LOL

Naz in Norway said...

Yikes! I didn't know that that C table is dangerous. My pharmacist recommended that to me as an alternative to the usual medical centre prescribed pills.

Since returning to this place and accepting what has happened, sakit kapla dah elek. Alhamdulillah.

Happy Deepavali!

kay_leeda said...

Naz,

I tried avoiding C, but just couldn't bare the pain much longer. Has to give in and feeling so, so bad about it. But the trade off is - headache is gone.

I seldom get headaches when I was away in the States too. Perhaps it was the weather...I don't know.