Thursday, May 10, 2007

Eye Opening Encounters In Chiangmai

There were a few unique experiences that we encountered in Chiangmai. Some of these experiences got us smiling to ourselves.

Encounter #1
If you are the first customer of the day, the trader will pat the money that you gave him on his merchandise. He will do this and say "Good Luck" a few times. By doing so, they believe will bring in more business for the day or night.

Encounter # 2

Most traders will give you a standard USD10 (approximately THB380) for most of the items you ask. That price could be even for the cheapest item he has with him.

I asked one lady trader the price of a Billabong baseball cap. She replied me, "380 baht". I replied her by offering my price of 80 baht. She was silent for a while. When I asked her again if that's the price she was giving me and gave me this furious (plus frustrated) look and lashed out at me with this reply.

"You think I sell food???!!!??" and she was so, so furious with me. Well, it was just a copy baseball cap, not the original Billabong. Back in KL I could get it for RM8.00 at the Stadium Shah Alam Sunday market.

So why on earth would I want to part with my money that way!!!

I understood her being upset over way I bargain. To make it even more stressful for her, it was already 9.00pm and she was still struggling to get customers. Too bad lady...

And I did get my so called "revenge" for her lashing at me. We passed her stall again on the way back. There were 2 ladies who were at her stall...and they were Malaysians. All of the sudden my "tanduk a.k.a setan-ness" kluar. I told the two ladies... "Don't buy from this stall...she cekik darah one."

And one of them replied, "Oh yea ker?" She instantly put down the item she was holding and walked away.

Heh..heh...I was a BAD, BAD gurl ;-)

Encounter # 3

My friends and I observed that many guys who come to Chiangmai would have local "companion". The young ones have one by their sides...we understand. But for those who could pass for our grandfathers??? We just wonder and ponder.

There was this old guy who came with us for the river cruise with a young female companion. From the looks on his face, he wasn't gonna "survive" the night. We were so afraid that he might kick the bucket during the cruise itself. But then men being men...he would have gotten himself some "booster" to last him all night long...heh..heh!!

However, this "companionship business" was done pretty discretely. There were no open "offerings" along the roadsides as what we saw in Bangkok during our trip a few years back.

Encounter # 4

Thus this explains why a pack of condom was put together with other items in the minibar in our hotel room. Ha..hah..."innocently" we wondered what would it be for...certainly would not be of any use for us!!!

And because of this too, before we checked out on the last day, I sticked a blue paper flower (which was pinned on my blouse during visit to one of the handicraft places) on condom box in our room.
It remained "untouched" and still a virgin till the day we left.

No comments: